Surfrider Foundation Oregon is hiring for a 12-month contract to manage our Rise Above Plastics Month campaign. The contractor will be responsible for coordinating project deliverables with staff, partners, and volunteers. Rise Above Plastics month is May 2019.
The Rise Above Plastics Project will achieve behavior change through several avenues: an outreach campaign that highlights the impacts of plastic marine debris and provides tangible ways to prevent using common plastic marine debris items; distribution of reusable items to replace single-use items; working with businesses to decrease the amount of single-use plastics used; and working with legislators to ensure the Capitol goes single-use plastic free for at least one day.
Status: Independent contractor
Contract Period: October 22, 2018 – October 22, 2019
Contract Amount: $20,000
Reports to: Oregon Field Manager and Oregon Policy Manager
Services to be performed
- Recruit businesses to participate in Rise Above Plastics month (May) by making at least one single-use plastic item available upon request only for one month during the project period.
- Follow up with each business to collect data on the change in use of the single-use item before, during, and after the “by request only” month.
- Develop a “Rise Above Plastics” pledge and acquire pledge signatures.
- Develop a survey to follow up with pledge takers on their intended behavior change.
- Order and distribute supplies as needed.
- Organize a Rise Above Plastics Day with Oregon Legislators at the Capitol Building in Salem.
- Implement Rise Above Plastics social media campaign on Surfrider Oregon social media accounts
- Coordinate with Surfrider staff, project partners, and volunteers on project metrics and ensure on time completion.
- Coordinate monthly (or more frequent) project check in calls.
This position requires working both independently and as part of a team. The Contractor will work out of a home office and must have their own computer with reliable access to internet. The Contractor must have valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and a reliable motor vehicle with insurance. Evening and weekend work along with overnight travel may occasionally be required. All travel expenses are included in the contract amount.
- Ability to travel throughout the Oregon Coast and Willamette Valley
- Effective project management
- Volunteer management
- Skills in outreach and communication
- Effective communication skills with the ability to communicate with diverse audiences
- Strong knowledge of and experience working on marine debris and plastic pollution issues
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Proficient in email communication, Google Suite, and Microsoft Suite
- Effective management of social media, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Preferred: Previous experience as an independent contractor
How to apply
Send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com by midnight on Tuesday, October 9, 2018.
- Application materials due: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at midnight
- Finalists notified: October 11
- Interviews (via video chat): October 15-17
- Final selection: October 18