There’s tons of fun to be had in the area, read on for insider info on the best spots to surf, paddle, hike and eat!
Local Surf Spots
- Otter Rock – Partially protected from NW winds, this is a great beginner/longboarder break. (10 miles north)
- Agate Beach – Located on the south side of Yaquina Head, this Newport area hotspot offers lots of nice beachbreaks and is protected from N wind by the massive headland. (5 miles North)
- South Beach – South of Newport, miles of wind-exposed beachbreak with mostly lefts, and a really nice right on a S swell. Fun summer spot. (Just over the dunes, best to drive 1mile around to jetty)
The name of the game in Oregon is shelter from the wind. Seek and ye shall find. More info on shops + spots further north / south located here:
Paddling / Kayaking
- Beaver Creek (Brian Booth State Park) – Beautiful meandering creek with lots of wildlife – short paddle downstream to the beach, or longer paddle upriver for more seclusion (7 miles south of OMSI)
- Yaquina Bay – Paddle around the big NOAA ships and get a great view of the bridge, historic waterfront and fishing fleet. Wind (low) and tide (higher) dependent. (Launch less than 1 mile from OMSI, behind Hatfield Marine Science Center)
Hiking / Sightseeing
- South Beach State Park – just head into the dunes from the back of OMSI property!
- Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area – Historic lighthouse, cobble beaches, tide pools, interpretive rangers (5 miles north)
- Historic Bayfront – Shops, eateries, galleries, a working wharf and sea lions – what else do you need? (<2 miles, just across the bridge)
- Cape Perpetua visitors center & scenic overlook – many different options including scenic headland, old growth forest, some up creeks (25 miles south)
- Gwynn Creek – (North Neptune State Park, across hwy from pullout) and Cummins Creek trail take you into the Cummins Creek Wilderness area, great hikes and potential mushroom gathering (30 miles south)
Good Eats + Drinks
- Local Ocean – The best in town, and likely on the coast!
- Lighthouse Deli – just down the road, amazing fish n chips and crab burger, funky décor and setting with local flavor!
- Rogue Brewery – Bayfront and South Beach Brewery locations
- Nana’s Irish Pub – Good grub + good beer
- Bier One – some sandwiches, this is chiefly the locals watering hole with a nice selection of local brews
- Café Mundo – awesome atmosphere, world beat cuisine
- Sorella’s – great Italian
- Panini’s – Awesome pizza, coffee and bread!
- Café Stephanie’s – great lunch/brunch in Nye Beach